Thursday 25 February 2016

The Serengeti

We made it to the place that everyone dreams of when they think of Africa!!!!  It was 5:30 when we hit the gate and we were informed that we still had 1.5 hours to go!  That was news that none of us wanted to hear as we had already put in a long day, mainly on very bumpy roads!  It is hard to imagine that these poor guides have to travel over these roads all of the time as a part of their jobs!
I found a way to make our group feel better, I grabbed some Kilamanjaro beer at the little store at the gate, so that made the rest of the journey a bit easier.

The drive through the Serengeti to the lodge was VERY rough!  I like to stand up whenever the top is popped and I am sure that I have bruises everywhere from trying to hang on!  It helps to get fresh air (or dusty air) to hold the motion sickness at bay!

About 15 minutes before the lodge, we were treated to an amazing sight!!  3 females lions and 3 Cubs were spread out on the branches of a big tree, displaying themselves so that we could see them!  What a feeling!

Once again it was after 7:00 pm when we reached the lodge!  Again, the lodge is amazing! At least we get to spend two nights here!!  We quickly grabbed a shower and went for dinner.  "The Leopards" had a flat tire along the way so they didn't get back until almost 8:00!

It was Ginger's birthday so once again, the staff didn't let us down.  They dim the lights of the restaurant and all come out in a line, singing beautiful African songs.  They have lovely voices and I bought their cd so that I can relive the moment!  They presented a cake and continued with a few more songs.  Makes our "happy birthday" presentations seem pretty mild!  Everyone was really worn out from the long day so the evening end abruptly.

I had the misfortune of waking up during the night with a terrible case of Montezuma's revenge! That bugger came all the way from Mexico to find me!!  Sadly, I had to stay back at the lodge today while the others went on an all day game drive.

From all of the reports they had another fabulous day! I am glad that I was the one to miss the day as I have already been to the Serengeti.  They saw lots of animals, including cheetahs and leopards.

We leave tomorrow morning, having another game drive out of the park and then we drive to Ngorogoro Crater!  I am hoping that I am feeling better by tomorrow as staying behind isn't an option!!

Pictures to come when possible!










No comments:

Post a Comment