Friday 19 February 2016

More from the Masaii Mara

we actually have a couple of hours of down time so I will do my best to get caught up with the details and pictures, as long as the wifi holds out!!  I want to explain that the pictures on this blog are just a sample of what we see.  The quality is poor because I am using my iPhone to take them to enable me to quickly upload them as I don't have the time to pull them off of my big camera.  So, keep in mind that we are getting some amazing close ups of most of the animals, even though these pictures don't reflect that!

 Our full day on the Masaii Mara was amazing!  We left on our morning game drive at 7:30.  From our camp, we have to drive about 30 minutes, over the worst roads ever, to the park entrance. I was an honorary (not ornery) lion today (my group is the Buffalo group).  Yesterday I was an honorary elephant. (I am making everyone put up with me for at least one day)

Ok, back to the game drive.  Since we had seen the majority of the animals that we wanted to see, the focus was to find the elusive "cats".  I have been to Africa twice previously and have never been lucky enough to see a leopard!

Right off the bat we came across 3 cheetahs in full view, a Mom and two older Cubs.  We got to watch them and take all of the pictures we wanted.  Once again, they paid no attention to us!!!  Then we came across a female cheetah hunting with her cub!  The other jeeps actually got to see her chase after a gazelle but the gazelle got away! They can both really move!!!  We got there too late to watch the chase but we still got to see them!

Mid morning we visited a local school and that is always an exciting and moving experience.  The kids are SO excited to see us and they LOVE having their picture taken so that they can see themselves!!  Of course, I always want to bring a few home with me!!  The kids have to walk to school, some as far as 14 km each way!!!  They are so eager to be there and to learn.  They were so anxious to show us their work as they are very proud of it.  We left them with a big pile of new supplies so it is nice to see that they will be put to good use!!

We returned to our lodge four lunch and we had a three hour "break".  I spend most of my free time writing this blog but it is fun to recount our adventures!!

We left on our second game drive at 3:30 (it is almost like work).  We were treated to getting really close to a big group of giraffes and also ostriches.  As the time was waning (we have to exit the park by 6:30 pm) the guides got more anxious to find us some cats!  We lucked out!!!  Jane (one of the travellers) spotted a cat running into a bush (an amazing feat). It turns out to be a young leopard and she was curled up in a bush, looking out at us!  We managed to get some great "face" shots. It was so exciting!  Our first leopard sighting!!!

I have figured out that the time of day is everything in terms of seeing animals.  Our cat sightings are always early in the morning and just before dark! We returned to camp feeling pretty grateful for the day.

We had a wonderful evening last night!  It was Terry Rath's (one of our group) birthday.  The kitchen staff made him a cake and about 20 of them came out of the kitchen in a Congo line and wove through the dining room with the cake and singing in Swahili (the Jumbo song).  It was awesome!  Then we were treated to some more dancing from the young Masaii men and a talk about Masaii life. Things have changed considerably in their culture since I was here 16 years ago.  I guess the "modern times" catch up with everyone, sooner or later!  The traditional Masaii culture is fascinating and well worth reading up on of you are at all interested.


We ended the evening with a little party and joke telling but it didn't go late, as we were all whipped!!

This morning we left at 6:15 am  for our last drive in the Mara.  We weren't disappointed! Our first sighting was two female lions with 5 small Cubs!!! Shortly after we came across a full green leopard and we got a quick full body view as he moved from the open into the bushes!  I have been to Africa on two previous trips and these are my first leopard sightings!! Wow!!

We came back to camp for breakfast and now have some free time(so I can write the blog 😄), before we travel to Nairobi for the night.  Back over the bumpy roads, hoping we hit pavement after a couple of hours.  We will be stopping to get a wonderful overview look of the Great Rift Valley!

Tomorrow we leave Nairobi and head south to the Amboseli area for two days.  I will try to upload more pictures as I have time.  I have to run and shower now so that they don't leave without me!!












No comments:

Post a Comment